Monday, February 16, 2009

PR and Politics

I would like to congratulate the team who spoke about Barack Obama and his methods of using new media to gain popularity and enough votes to become the new President of America. The group did a great job and although I did follow his campaign, I did learn some new interesting tactics Obama used throughout the months.
I had no idea he had created ring tones for cell phones! I was absolutely amazed by this. How clever were his people to have thought of this! Not only did he create ring tones, but he was able to reach three different kinds of people, the young, the mature and even the old. Obama understood how important it was to reach a wide range of audiences because they represented all of America. He also was able to reach the older, media savvy crowd with these ring tones, which I know my father loved, (even though he is Canadian). My father has a blackberry and prides himself on showing me how he can look up his email on his phone and check the temperature of different cities across the world. Obviously, this doesn't impress me, because it took him an entire week to figure out the Blackberry by reading the manual, and I just learned it by trial and error in about a half hour. That's besides the point, the point is, he downloaded the ring tones, and I never even heard of them before class! can't believe it. My father who is 59 new of some media gimmick long before I did, how embarrassing, but goes to show the power of Obam's campaign and his intense following.
By looking at Obama's campaign compared to McCain's, in hindsight, it is quite obvious that McCain was doomed for failure. His campaign wasn't anywhere near Obama's in terms of using the tools available today to reach America. Obama did it, and from now on I'm sure, other presidents will use the same kind of tactics or methods to gain the popular vote. Everything is obvious in hindsight, but Obama and his people, tactically tapped into the strongest media tools and used PR to its finest to win presidency.



in this case, the Hare has definitely beat the Tortoise.

No comments:

Post a Comment