Sunday, February 1, 2009

Wastebook




I remembered this ridiculous skit that appeared on Mad tv, a show that resembles SNL, but can be at times a little edgier.
It is obvious the show's producers are voting Obama, and this skit makes fun of McCain's lack in technological usability. He doesn't even know how to use a computer, or so the skit eludes to, yet he needs to use Facebook to reach the younger generation of voters in America.
Apparently he is too old for Facebook, since the year of his birth isn't even an option when trying to create a new profile.
The skit basically explains that the older generation just isn't cool if they can't use Facebbok to broaden their social network. However, just a thought, how cool will Facebook be when our parents are using it as well? Both my mother and father have accounts, although my mother doesn't even know how to use it she just created one so she can view my pictures and see how life is treating me while I'm away studying in London. Both their friend requests are still pending, and although I feel terrible for not accepting them, I just can't justify having my parents as friends on Facebook!

I first got Facebook in 2004, back in the day when only University students could access the site. My parents, and my father especially thought it was a ridiculous waste of time, and viewed it as a way for dirty old men to access his daughter's life. I repeatedly explained to him that Facebook was different and only my friends could view my profile, and I was careful at selecting only people I knew. Little did we both know the power this social networking site would have, and how many important and powerful people would eventually use it to their advantage. Years later my father finally got it and told me it was an amazing way to get in touch with people and world leaders, presidents and organizations were using it. All of these things I knew already, but of course this didn't matter anymore.
New media, as my group explained during our presentation in the last class, is important and is changing the way we do business. PR agencies have quickly understood that if they do not implement this into their business model, they can lose many clients who are trying to reach an audience on a wider scale in a quick and inexpensive way.
However, from a social networking point of view, Facebook may create some problems when I'm trying to apply for jobs. I know back in Montreal, there was a company that would create a "fake" profile and add you as a friend to gain access to your profile. From the pictures and information on your wall, they could judge what kind of person you really were, and if they wanted to hire you. I've done my Facebook clean up, and have removed some potential harming pictures from my profile. I've untagged myself, but those pictures are still floating around in cyberspace. The internet has vast capabilities and has the potential to make or break someone. Look at Paris Hilton, her grandfather gave away her share of his fortune to charity because of the embarrassment her sex video caused her family. The internet caused the Heiress her inheritance, and her reputation.

No comments:

Post a Comment